Sen. Bob Menendez secured $230 million for the “Rebuild By Design” flood resiliency project in Hoboken. Menendez, who is chair of the Superstorm Sandy Task Force, noted the funding would be free of the threat of a clawback by the federal government.
New Jersey’s senior senator was able to secure a one-year extension of Sandy-related Community Development Block Grant Disaster Relief funds allocated for the projects, which was set to expire Sept. 30, 2022. Now, the project has until Sept. 30, 2023 before the spectre of forfeited funds would appear again.
“I was proud to support and secure $230 million in federal funding for Hoboken’s ‘Rebuild By Design’ project and refuse to sit back and allow this vital flood mitigation project to be torpedoed by some arbitrary statutory deadline,” said Sen. Menendez in a press statement.
‘Rebuild By Design’ Plans
Hoboken’s “Rebuild By Design” plans will feature a series of seawalls, state-of-the-art green spaces and resiliency parks, water pumps, and sewer system upgrades to better contend with future flooding.
“This is the kind of long-term, comprehensive approach to flood mitigation and resiliency that can protect the residents of Hoboken and its surrounding communities and serve as a model for other urban areas grappling with repetitive flooding,” said Menendez.
The project was initially launched in June 2013, and the multi-stage plan has secured funding throughout its implementation.
Menendez Continues Fight in 2020
In March, Sen. Menendez joined Hoboken Mayor Ravi Bhalla in bringing Department of Housing and Urban Development Region II Administrator Lynne Patton on a tour of the city.
The tour highlighted the merits of the project and gave reason for an extension. Sen. Cory Booker and other New Jersey officials also took part.
Additionally, Menendez and Bhalla announced $14 million in federal grants earlier in 2020 to completed the Northwest Resiliency Park.